- Liberal Vannin is hosting a meeting for the public to question candidates on Monday at 7.30pm at Manx Blind Welfare Society, Onchan
- Seven of nine Legislative Council candidates confirm they will face the public
- Two candidates have declined
Seven of the nine candidates for the forthcoming Legislative Council appointment have committed to answering questions from the public at the meeting organised by the Liberal Vannin Party on Monday 9 March at 7.30pm at the Manx Blind Welfare Society in Onchan.
“It is good that most candidates for the Legislative Council have agreed to answer questions from their prospective bosses: the people of the Isle of Man. It is unfortunate that the people of Mann have no vote in electing the Legislative Council, but at least Liberal Vannin has created an opportunity for the public to put their questions to the candidates.”Michael Josem, Chair of Liberal Vannin
Council Public Questions and Answers
DATE: Monday, 9 March, 2020
TIME: 7.30pm – 9.30pm
WHERE: Manx Blind Welfare Society,
Corrin Court, Heywood Ave, Onchan
Candidates in order of nomination
|Bill Henderson||Yes||Kerry Sharpe||Yes|
|Michelle Haywood||No||Robert Mercer||Yes|
|Haafizah Hoosen||Yes||Zahed Miah||Yes|
|Peter Greenhill||Yes||Danielle Bell||Yes|
|Tim Crookall||Withdrawn||Carole Lillywhite||No|
Dr Haywood has declined the invitation to face the public questions due to “a long-standing commitment on Monday evening and will not be able to attend.” Mrs Lillywhite similarly declined but raised the possibility of meeting with the public if she is successful in her candidacy.
On Monday evening, members of the public will be able to raise the issues that they feel strongly about – and hear answers directly from the candidates for the Legislative Council.
- Each prospective candidate will be given two minutes to introduce themselves.
- Members of the public will be able to ask a short question (or invite a response to a comment) from any or all candidates, with each answer limited to two minutes.
- Media outlets are welcome to record and/or broadcast the event in whole or in part.
Michael Josem, Chair, Liberal Vannin Party
Phone: +44 (0)7624 488557
This event is not sponsored or endorsed by the Manx Blind Welfare Society (MBWS). MBWS is not involved in the organisation of the event, and no MBWS funds are being spent on this event. Liberal Vannin is renting the MBWS space at ordinary arms-length rates. This event is funded by Liberal Vannin, and no taxpayer money is being used by Liberal Vannin for this event.
 Mr Crookall withdrew on Thursday 5 March